Nintendo has updated their top 10 all-time Switch sellers list after releasing their Switch sales figures, and there’s some amazing numbers in there. Animal Crossing: New Horizons continues to have a blistering first year after six months on sale, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is still selling well, and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate has become the system’s third 20-million seller.
Animal Crossing: New Horizons is up to 26.04 million sales, up from 22.4 million units last quarter. At that time, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe was on 26.7 million sales, and you might expect the gap to have narrowed significantly–but the kart racer also sold incredibly this quarter, jumping to 28.99 million units. The 2017 Switch port of a 2014 Wii U title (which was also that system’s highest seller, at 8.45 million units) continues to be a huge success.
There are no new entries from last quarter, although Super Mario 3D All-Stars got off to such a strong start (5.21 million sales in two weeks) that we could see it overtake New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe in the future.
The system now has three games that have sold over 20 million units–and with The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild continuing to sell very well, and Pokemon Sword/Shield being re-released with the DLC season pass bundled in, both games are likely to reach this milestone too. For comparison, the Nintendo DS–still the company’s best-selling console–had just three games that sold 20 million+ in their lifetime. The Wii, meanwhile, had 7 (and 4 titles above 30-million, including the pack-in Wii Sports).
Here’s the full top 10, with previous quarter figures (showing sales figures from just three months earlier), courtesy of Vooks.
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (28.99 million, from 26.74)
- Animal Crossing: New Horizons (26.04 million, from 22.4)
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (21.10 million, from 19.99)
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (19.74, from 18.6)
- Pokemon Sword/Shield (19.02 million, from 18.22)
- Super Mario Odyssey (18.99 million, from 18.06)
- Pokemon: Let’s Go, Pikachu/Eevee (12.49 million, from 12.2)
- Super Mario Party (12.10 million, from 10.94)
- Splatoon 2 (11.27 million, from 10.71)
- New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe (8.32 million, from 7.44)
These figures mean that several series, including Animal Crossing, Super Smash Bros., The Legend of Zelda, Mario Party, and Splatoon, have their best-selling entry on Switch.
Other Switch first-party games to sell over 1 million units include:
- Luigi’s Mansion 3
- Ring Fit Adventure
- Super Mario Maker 2
- Astral Chain
- The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening
- Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3
- Fire Emblem: Three Houses
- Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics
- Paper Mario: The Origami King
- Super Mario 3D All-Stars
As Nintendo Life notes, the company has stated that five third-party games have also sold over 1 million units on Switch. However, the company has not revealed which games have achieved this figure. As always, it’s first-party Nintendo games that have enjoyed the most success on the system.
With the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X releasing this month, it’ll be interesting to see how the Switch fares over the holiday period and the months following. An NPD analyst believes that, with new consoles scarce, the Switch will be this holiday’s top seller.