Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales is a major PS5 launch title (that’s also coming to PS4), and developer Insomniac has pushed to introduce more accessibility options in this sequel. In a Twitter thread, the studio has detailed all the ways the game has been designed for wider, improved accessibility on PS4 and PS5.
Across 14 tweets in this thread, Insomniac Games lists various features that will make it possible for a wider audience to experience the game. These include many changes that will make the game a bit easier, as well as some changes that will make the game easier to play without using the right stick, such as automatic camera follow. There’s a narrated ASL option, and numerous ways to tweak your subtitles for improved readability.
Earlier this year, The Last of Us Part II set new benchmarks for in-game accessibility, and while Miles Morales does not go as far as Naughty Dog’s game did, the changes made should open the game up to more people.
The complete list of accessibility options covered in the tweets is below.
- QTE Auto Complete: Auto advance all QTE sequences without button presses
- Change Button Taps to Hold Up
- Web-Shooter Burst: Enable firing up to three webs at once
- Swing/Parkour Mode: Sets swinging and parkour to a toggle or a button hold
- Chase Assist: Chase targets’ top movement speed is lowered so there is a longer window before the target escapes. Automatically attaches to the chase target when within range. Press [R3] to automatically turn the camera towards the chase target.
- Venom Mode: Sets Venom Activation to a toggle or a button hold
- Enhanced Auto Aim: Snap onto targets with greater ease while in aim mode.
- Increased Dodge Window: Increases the dodge window time.
- Controller Remapping: Fully Customize your control scheme or choose between presets. Up to two inputs (Default D-Pad Left & Right) can be individually mapped to moves that normally require multiple button presses.
- Explicit Puzzle Hints: Enable explicit puzzle hints during puzzle segments.
- Accessibility Vibration: Enable additional vibration to assist with auditory and visual gameplay elements.
- Invert Camera up/down. Invert Camera left/right.
- Adaptive Triggers (PS5): When enabled allows the [R2] and [L2] buttons to dynamically change resistance during traversal actions.
- Camera Follow: Automatically rotate the camera behind Spider-Man while swinging.
- Combat Camera: Automatically rotates the camera to assist with keeping enemies in view.
- Look at Waypoint: Automatically turns the camera towards the objective waypoint.
- Control Hints: Control hints are displayed on the bottom left corner of the HUD.
- Mini-Map: Display the mini-map on the bottom right corner of the HUD.
- Crime Notifications: Display crime notifications on the right side of the HUD.
- UI Parallaxing: When turned off HUD and Pause Menu elements stay in place on the screen.
- Icon and Prompt Size: Set the size for in-word waypoints, icons, and prompts.
- HUD Background: Enable a contrasting background for the HUD.
- Subtitles: Display Subtitles for spoken dialogue.
- Subtitle Size: Adjust the size of the subtitles.
- Subtitle Background: Enable a background for subtitles for improved readability.
- Subtitle Color: Set the text color for subtitles.
- Subtitles Speaker Color: Set the speaker name color for subtitles.
- English VO: Use English Dialogue audio instead of system language if your system language is set to a SKU supported language.
- Controller Speaker: Allow certain sounds to play through the controller speaker.
- Narrated ASL: Enable narration of subtitled American Sign Language Lines.
- JJJ Podcast: Automatically play JJJ Podcasts.
- Danika Podcast: Automatically play Danika Podcasts.
- HDR: Enable high Dynamic Range. Only available on compatible TVs.
- High Visibility Spider-Sense: Enable a high contrast Spider-Sense effect.
- Contrast Options: Enables various shaders and high contrast options to help with visibility. Use presets or customize each setting individually. Including solid single colors on the hero, allies, enemies, etc.
Unfortunately, PlayStation still does not have a control option on par with the Xbox Adaptive Controller, which will work with the Xbox Series X/S, too.
GameSpot may get a commission from retail offers.